Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Paper Art - Quilling

'Quilling', a.k.a 'paper filigree', is an art form that involves the use of strips of paper that are rolled, shaped, and glued together to create decorative designs.
The paper is wound around a quill to create a basic coil shape. The paper is glued at the tip and the coil shaped. These shaped coils are arranged to form flowers, leaves, and various ornamental patterns.

The craft has gone through many transformations and changes through the ages using new techniques, styles and materials.
A brilliant example is this link which I saw on my friend's blog. I was in complete awe looking at this work by 'Yulia Brodskaya'.


Inspired by this beautiful paper art, I made this simple birthday card for my pottery teacher who is also a very dear friend of mine ! (Courtesy - Inna's Creations)


For this work, I used things at my disposal - colored paper, glue stick, paper knife and tooth pick (for coiling). Ikea’s deep frame was just apt for presenting it!

My first guest post ever on this topic on eshgheman ! Thank you eshgheman for inviting me to do this post :-)
Information courtesy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilling

5 comments:

Ann Martin said...

It's always good to find someone else who enjoys quilling. Yulia is turning so many people onto the art! Nice interpretation of Inna's design - she has so many original ideas.

Anonymous said...

that's so nice... loved the post and your trial too... keep going :)
-Radhika

Anupama Puneeth said...

Thank you Ann. Happy to have found you :-) You have a fantastic blog !

Thank you Radhika :)

Vidhya Ganesh said...

Hey! It looks amazing.Good work :-)

Ajitha said...

lovely work! It looks so beautiful!